Friday 10 February 2012

Day 163 - Raglan

Still catching up! Spent all day of the 6th with Karyn. Met her at 11ish outside the YHA, and went down to a park by the waterfront to chill and play some frisbee. Spent a while looking for a place to have breakfast, managed to find a diner that did a decent feed - hash browns, bacon, mushrooms, sausages and scrambled egg. Bleeding delicious.

Into the national museum, Te Papa. Karyn was very excited about some lightweight rocks, but they were quite heavy. Another earthquake exhibition, this one with a simulator house. Probably should've spent longer there, but went to meet Karyn's sister Laura for a coffee. Also Irish Maggie and English Jay. Just chilled out again for a bit, ended up back at the same park playing frisbee again.

DSC_0180

DSC_0184

DSC_0187

Scott and Ali dropped by again, took us for a wee drive - Shelly Beach I think, not far from the airport. Picked up their Swiss cousin from her flight, Sophie, then they dropped us back into town. Myself and Karyn finished the cider in the park, listening to the Black Keys and just shooting the breeze about music, friends, travel.

When it started to get colder and dark, we wandered down Cuba Street, bumping into Caoimhe and GearĂ³id on the way. End up in the Molly Malone (fantastic Guinness) talking about Ireland. G&C join us for one, but we are alone again by closing time. We wander down to waterfront, and sit and chat some more. The conversation is completely engrossing, she's great company. So much so that by the time we think to check our watches, it's nearly 4am. With the bus at 6.30am, there's not much point going to sleep. We pop back to the hostel for a cup of tea, then go in search of breakfast. McDonald's is the only place open that fills us. Walk her back to her hostel (like a gent), hugging goodbye around 5.45am.

That's 18 continuous hours together. Magnificent day!

DSC_0203


Back to my hostel, grab my bag, and march back to the bus stop. There is Gea, Niyanta, Ger and Caoimhe, Louise, and Miss P driving again. I snatch 2hrs sleep on the bus, before we pull in at National Park (Tongariro) for lunch. Waiting there are Danielle, and Katie and Jule  We leave Louise there, and head for Rotorua.

***

Arrived in Rotorua late on the 7th, quickly checked in at the rather grim Base hostel, then got picked up for rafting. Five of us from the bus - Gea and Danielle, as well as Katie, and a German Jule. A Swiss guy, Emilie, joins us along the way. He's in the other boat though - we have an exclusively Stray raft. Into the water, and we're on to the rapids pretty quickly. Rangitata featured about 30mins of instruction before any action, but here it's pretty hands on. Gopher is our guide.

Rotorua

DSC_0029

It's an exciting watercourse, but over far too quickly. Maybe eight rapids? One is 7m high - we're completely vertical, and plunge straight down into the pool at the bottom, water surging into the raft, drowning us. Katie is 'volunteered' to act as a figurehead while we surf a smaller rapid, and likewise suffers a deluge. But then it's done, and back to the hostel.

DSC_0050

DSC_0052

DSC_0055

Shower, change, head down to the bar to grab a beer and avail of the free barbecue. Good eating. Chat to Niyanta for a while, but I can feel the tiredness creeping up on me, and I struggle to focus. Quit fighting it, and am out before the lights are off.

***

The 8th is an earlyish start. I sit next to Gea as we leave Danielle and Katie for Auckland. Pick up G&C - Miss P has trouble with Caoimhe's name, which is routine. Arrive in Auckland early afternoon, stay in Base, sharing a room with G&C. Head out to meet Gea, and we wander down to the water front. Nothing much to see, make a supermarket stop and head to the park. Picnic lunch, and then lots of frisbee. Random German dude joins in, Joachim, from near Frankfurt. He's travelling with his daughter. He only plays for ten minutes or so.

DSC_0239

DSC_0247

DSC_0267

We chill out for a while longer, before splitting with plans to meet later. Shower and pack up in preparation for the morning, then head down to Globe bar. IDed, and convince the bouncer to take my Galwegian student card. We have a tonne of vouchers, me and Ger in rounds. Beer after beer, then necking a Bacardi Breezer. The guys play some pool, beating some regulars (and subsequently pissing them off by not going for a rematch). We arse about a bit, and then the bar host a wet tshirt competition. I'm not too bothered, but the entire bar, including the girls, gather to watch. I'm perched on the bar beside Gea, with a view over the crowds. All I can really see is one large girl more or less getting her tits out. It's not an attractive sight to me, but she walks away with the prize money.

The dancing starts then, and at some point Niyanta, Jule, and Swiss Sophie arrive. It's great fun, just bopping away, but as the night passes, everyone says goodbye one by one, until I dance alone for a cople of tunes, then head upstairs to bed.

***

Miss P had told me the bus was at 7am on the 9th, and I woke up fully at 7.15am! Ahhhh! Think I woke at 6am originally, but just took a leak and returned to bed. Rush downstairs in a panic, but find people still waiting. Bus is really at 7.40am. Change my tshirt in the street, and go back inside to brush my teeth.

Girl waiting is Dutch Ann, and German Jule comes down too. Also at the stop is Joachim and his daughter Svenia. I grab a window seat when Miss P pulls up, and Ann sits next to me. We talk off and on, but mostly I nap fitfully.

***

Random thoughts: two things that are almost sacrilegious to me - wearing earphones while hiking, and watching television when you could be interacting with real people. But on St John's Mount in Tekapo, there was only wind - no birdcalls. So Freeland Whales brought me to the summit. And now, others are dancing in the barn, but I am here half-watching Predators. But I need an off night occasionally, to be asocial.

***

Before reaching Hahei, we stop off at the famous hot water beach. For a couple of hours every low tide, a hot spring bubbles up under the beach. The custom is to dig a hole in the sand, and then relax in it, but when we arrive, the hot patch is crowded. Any holes we dig only reach cold water. Near the sea though, the spring is visible - bubbling water rising out of the sand, boiling and steaming, mixing with the tide.

Some of the guys try to step lightly in it, but it's scalding. Canadians - Nate and Kyle (Christa and Heather, Lauren), Swiss Michael jumps through as well. Started listing the bus there...
Ashley & Nicole from the US
English Craig, graffiti artist
Swedes: Sophia, Natalia, Sara; Jen
Jay & Linda from Canada
Irish Aoife
Italian Mariella

All of the above bar the Swedes come kayaking when we reach Hahei. Mark and Cam are our guides, two sound Kiwis. Everyone's confident, and we set a great pace. I'm paired up with Austrian Christophe, who is travelling solo in a camper-van. We poke into a few bays, and squeeze between rocks. The sea is perfect - challenging, a little choppy and rough, but not a frustrating struggle, nor too scary. We stop at Cathedral Cove, where I go in for a swim, clearing away any lingering hangover. The two lads prepare an amazing array of coffees, teas, hot chocolates, cappuccinos, and set them out on a picnic blanket. Really superb. After that, we kayak around some rocky islands, through a wee cave, and then let the wind push us home, even sighting a penguin along the way. Yay!

DSC_0269

DSC_0271

DSC_0275

DSC_0285

Back at the dorms, the barbecue is almost ready. I meet the Swedes then, who are travelling together, from Gothenburg. Beers and barbecue - hard to beat. Some smashing potato salad too. Accidentally ask Ann her name again, despite sitting beside her on the bus all day. She's one more blonde next to all the blonde Swedes, and I haven't got my glasses on, whoops!

DSC_0291

After the barbecue finishes (shamefully, in a rare move, I didn't help at all), we move to the beach. Some skinny dipping ensues, Nate leading the charge. Go back to change/dry, and I get the feeling the party is dying when I return to the beach. Chat to Svenia for a bit, but Nate muscles in, marking his territory. I hang about a while longer, mostly mute, then make an Irish Exit.

DSC_0296


***

This morning then, up for breakfast, discover I left my oats in Rotorua. Dammit. Breakfast on two oranges instead. Bus is full again, so help pack the luggage compartment. Back on the bus, discover my bad's been moved from my seat by the Canadian couple. irritating, but not the end of the world. Jay is apologetic, but I'm happy sitting next to Swedish Jen. Long drive to Raglan - coast to coast - but we don't talk much. I read Chuck Palahniuk's Rant. We make a stop in Paeroa, home of L&P. Break out the frisbee, use a musical toilet. Miss P gets a thorough checkover by a cop - not sure if anything was wrong in the end.

DSC_0298

Reach Raglan shortly after lunchtime. Hostel is a set of huts set deep in a forested area, very lush and green. There's a few of us doing a surf lesson - Aoife, Michael and Swiss Aron, Dutch Ann, German Jule, Canadian Christa, and two newly-arrived Slovenians - Kaja and Lucija.

We get some tips in the barn from Lucy (English with an Irish boyfriend) and Kiwi Kemmy. How to stand up and how to stay standing. Then it's down to the beach to see how we got on for real. Lucy gives Kaja a push first, and she's standing up all the way in, like a natural.

We all start trying it, and it's a lot easier than I remember, though I still flip a few times, the nose of my board dipping and dragging me under. But after about 30mins or so, I'm starting to get the hang of it. Lucy gives me a tip or two, and then I start to get the position and timing right. By the end I'm catching waves when I want, and riding them nearly all the way in.

Return the boards to Sally (Cork!), and back to hostel. Cup of tea, biscuits, book. Chat to a few people as they stop by my table, though I'd rather like to finish my book. Oh well, life is hard!

Raveoli dinner, then wander up to Inspiration Point to catch the last colours of the sunset. Sit there a while, chatting. Return for cards and pool, teaming up with Christa against Michael and Dutche Leonie. Then, eventually, my journal is brought up to date, with Forrest Gump, Predators and RED in the background. Sleep time now.

DSC_0301

DSC_0309

[Read Canadian Linda's blog on this at http://downhomerdownunder.blogspot.ie/2012/02/stray-cat-shuffle-part-one.html]

No comments: