Monday 12 September 2011

Day 12 - Moscow-Irkutsk train (somewhere near Omsk)

Well, two of my worst fears have been realised - I got sick, *and* I lost my passport. Both had happy resolutions (or as happy as can be!). A sober Seb joined in at the end of a game of Kings, and tipped me over the edge. My lasting memory will be of lying in the carriage of a Mongolian fur trader, as comfy as can be, but slightly worried about getting back to my bed. My passport was under my mattress, must've taken it off during the night.



Trans-Siberian Kings:
A - toilet card 7 - thumbs (play any time)
2 - drink two 8 - nominate two
3 - drink three 9 - nominate three
4 - make a rule 10 - bust a rhyme
5 - "A ship came into the harbour" J - boys drink
6 - fingers Q - girls drink
K - drinks

***

I'm pretty content, all things considered. Sitting, cards, drinking, watching Russia roll by through our window on the world.


***

I nearly forgot about the random passport check last night. During the game of kings, our carriage attendant came in with an official, and asked for our dokument. But they only checked our room, and nobody else's. After some sign language chat with the trolley dolly and an attendant, it seems they thought it was funny that we had so many people in one room playing cards. The giggling should've given it away really.

***

Some Russian phrases (probably spelt horrifically badly):
Kvas - a sweet Russian low-percentage ale.
Svetya - carriage attendant's (provinista) name
Priviet - hi!
Pocca - see you!
Kruta - cool
Khak de la? - how are you?
Normalno - normal
Khal na sho - good
Spa-qo-na noche - good night
Dobra jutro - good morning
Dos va dayna - good bye
Yea dorak - I'm stupid
Ne pan-e-mai - I don't understand
Ya pee-an - I'm drunk
Ya us-tao - I'm tired
Priviet chu-vak - hey dude!
Khak de la? Ba-ka ney red-u-la! - How are you? I haven't given birth yet!

***

Some Dutch:
Hoi! - Hi!
Hoe is het? [who is hed?] - how are you?
Goed, met jou? [Ghood, met yuo?] - good, and you?
Doei! [Doo-ey] - bye!

***

I must make sure I return to the Apple hostel some day. Oksana, Irina, Jennia, Roman all made me feel so welcome The other guests were also super friendly.

***

PS Dom's diary for the day:
http://domcheeseman.blogspot.ie/2011/09/day-102-still-on-train.htm

No comments: