Monday 21 November 2011

Day 82 - Vang Vieng

Tubing - how do I describe it? A tuk-tuk ride to the river bank, a shot of whiskey there, and another on entering the bar. Team up with Diana for some beer pong, and we both win our first ever games!  After some funtimes there, and talking to the 11811 guys, move on to Bar Two. More whiskey, and a girl writes something on my back - "I suck and swallow", I think. Meet Niamh, and she spray paints my hair pink. Some others then paint my forehead, dangerously close to my eyes, but they are protective, and all is well. Met the Indian-Aussie from the bus - he's just arrived with his girlfriend, and they're both a little open-mouthedley stunned.

It's all a bit Spring Break/MTV/girls gone wild. Painted bodies on display, random dancing and pairing off. Beer Pong, shots of whiskey - everything is utterly hedonistic. Here are the true playboys - no responsibilities, except to not die in the river. I dive off the platform a few times, liberating adrenalin. Tori and I jump together at one point. At some stage I realise Diana has disappeared, along with my money in her dry bag. I use the giant swing to get out to the middle of the river, and swim to the next bar. Sit around the fire there for a while, singing. No sign of Diana.

Four Chilean guys take pity on me, and pay for my tuk-tuk. One of them and I climb onto the roof, until he tells us to get down in case of police. Go back to their hotel for a beer before heading into town. Meet the Scots, and then the Danes! Bit hazy after that. Think I got food, then slept. Waking up so early this morning.

Going to check out bus options, and some non-tubing activity for tomorrow. Then meet the Danes for another wild day.

No comments: