Monday 28 November 2011

Day 89 - Bangkok

Got up relatively early yesterday, booked a flight to Bangkok for €140, was on my way to get a nice head massage when I run into Team Scotland, who are their way to ride some elephants. They invite me along, and I go. Tuk-tuk out to the site of the Tad Sae waterfall - they look so beautiful, almost appearing artificial. They line up three elephants. Kirsty, who has been asking to sit on the neck, is directed into the seat of the first. I'm next, and am placed on the neck of the second, with Linda behind me in the seat. Laurie and Karen share the seat of the third.

DSC_0450
Team Scotland

DSC_0458

It's unnerving rider Samtuk - I feel as though my hands are pushing down into her brain through her bristly skin, and with every step, I lurch from side to side, an inch away from falling off. Which I don't do, happily, even when going downhill. We amble through the jungle, just enjoying the sensation of being atop an elephant. The mahouts grab the compact cameras, and are soon snapping away like paparazzi on the ground.

DSC_0489


DSC_0485


DSC_0499


I swap places with Linda, and we enter a shallow pool by the waterfalls. Kirsty's elephant splashes us with her trunk, before we are out and off. We feed them afterwards, their trunks seeking out the food before we can hand it to them. We have to keep it out of reach.

DSC_0519

We relax by the waterfalls for a while, and myself and Kirsty take a short hike along the river - there's not much to see though. All the girls except Laurie take a dip, and I have no togs, and am wearing jeans. Darn. Return across the river and back to town, grabbing dinner by the Mekong (Namkhong in Lao). The sun is setting behind the town, but we don't have a view of it at all.

DSC_0537

DSC_0543

DSC_0548

DSC_0557


I pack my bags ready for the morning, and go online to sort out a hostel for Bangkok, and my Aussie visa (which is granted instantly). Skyped Nora and Katie yesterday. Meet the Scottish girls for a drink, and they are eating again. I must not have my normal appetite. Face still hurts, but I grab a beer anyway. Sit by the bonfire for a bit, chat to an English/RSA couple. Then we return to Utopia. I teach the girls how to play Arsehole, before time is called for curfew. Have a brief chat with the owner, who explains how he had to get the place shipshape when he took it over. It's down a series of back alleys, and so relies heavily on word of mouth to get clientèle in. Say goodbye to Team Scotland, asleep by midnight.

Up at 5.30 for tuk-tuk to airport. Share with two silent girls. Nowhere to buy water at terminal. Board plane and doze intermittently, iPod in. Land and get the train to the hostel. Climb into bed after a quick breakfast. Nap on and off from about midday 'til six. Wake myself up with my own snoring more than once, which is a first [and a second!]. Dinner in the hostel, then relaxing time.

DSC_0565

Going to see a doctor in the morning if I'm not better, get some anti-biotics. Also meeting Niall tomorrow at some point, and Di and Tori are in town. And Debbie on Thursday. Just need lots of energy!

No comments: